Monday, 25 May 2015

Charity Quilt - Meg's Hearts

I belong to a small group called the Glenrothes Quilters and we meet twice a month for a sewing get together. One of our ladies, Meg has a precious grandson who received life saving treatment shortly after his birth at Yorkhill Hospital in Glasgow last year.
Meg and the family wanted to give something back and Meg came up with the idea of doing a quilt to raffle to raise much needed funds.
I call it Meg's heart Quilt and Meg calls it the 'magic' quilt.  I love that.

Us gals at Glenrothes Quilters thought it was a great idea for us to make the quilt.
We booked out hall for the whole day and made the top.
I took it home with me to quilt on my Gracie frame.


These are the photos of the quilting progress.....


 I used one layer of Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 wadding and machine quilting thread from Empress Mills
I quilted it over 2 weeks and kept a note of my hours just out of interest.


 There are 32 hours of quilting in this quilt













I rounded off the corners for a softer look.










The binding has been completed and raffle tickets are now being sold. You can find all the information here.
The raffle is open world wide, wherever you are in the world, if you buy the winning ticket, the quilt will be sent free of charge.
I hope it raises lots of money for the hospital and that whoever wins it enjoys it for many years.
Back to sewing now........

Rhianon.

Friday, 15 May 2015

Jelly Roll Quilt - Finished!

Hello 
I got my jelly roll quilt finished.
its gone from this....


to this.........




It took a while, but I made all the petals and leaves separately and sewed them down whilst the quilt was still on the frame.
I stitched the Suffolk puffs down by hand.










 I'm pretty pleased with my quilting here.  It was a challenge to get the feathers to snake around the center section and get them to fit into the space. I've not done that before. I had to roll the quilt back and forth - a lot.



I will be entering this into my local show later in the year.  I always wanted to make a blue and white quilt and now I have.
I've been very busy working on a charity quilt recently.  Here's a wee sneaky peek to finish this post.
More next time......
Until then, happy sewing.
Rhianon.



Saturday, 11 April 2015

Jelly Roll Quilt


Hello quilty friends

I've been keeping myself busy working on a couple of new quilts.
This is the second time I've used a jelly roll and I decided to use a little design I doodled a while back.   First time I used a Bonnie Hunter pattern.

The intention was to use lots of half square triangles - 2 1/2" sounded good to me.





I didn't want to make this too big so it could be a lap quilt or a wall hanging.
Then my favourite part - the quilting.....  

For the first time ever I actually marked the spines by measuring and using a curved ruler so the feathers are quite uniform.   All my work is freehand and I don't have a stitch regulator on my machine.  I would love to be able to do ruler work and that is high up my to-do list.
I used one layer of Warm and Bright wadding.



 Some swirly fill for this bit....

 Freehand feathers in the corner.......

 This part was quite a challenge.  I wanted the feathers to fit into the space......

 Pretty pleased with how they are looking.

 Same again for these feathers, I wanted them to trail around, fitting the space.

 You can see from this photo how I have advanced the frame to work the center section.  I will roll back and finish the sides.  Not sure if this is how you are supposed to do it, but its working for me. I've never had a long arm lesson in my life so everything I do is by trial and error.
 A nice sunny photo..

 Here is the center part finished, still have to get rid of the blue lines.



Some McTavishing is my background fill for this bit and it will have appliqued 3D flowers when done.
At this point my machine decided not to play nicely.  It started skipping stitches when sewing upwards towards the left.  I ran through my checklist several times, new needle, cleaned, oiled, tension check.  I managed to get it working again for all of 5 minutes so I got hubby to take the machine off the frame so I could have a closer look.
Still in free motion mode I did a test sample and it sewed perfectly.  Just cannot figure that out.
Anyway, the machine will be going back on the frame and I hope to get this finished.  It is 3/4 of the way done.  Its been very frustrating.
Here is the sample I stitched:

Wish me luck and I hope to have a finished quilt to show next time.
Happy sewing
Rhianon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...